Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Positivity

The book that I want to recommend is called Positivity: A Book That Can Change Your Life. My dad recommended it to me, he suffers slightly from PTSD. He is in the military, and deals with a lot of stress. This book is a self-help book that has many different suggestions to maintain your different levels of stress, and ways for you to become and stay happy, and each tip that it gives is all affirmed by research.The author, Doctor Barbara Fredrickson, has several books about her positive psychology theories. In this one, she provides multiple different ideas that include:

• There are ten main positive emotional states that contribute to the broadening of our perspective and building of resources: joy, gratitude, serenity, interest, hope, pride, amusement, inspiration, awe, and love
• Negative emotions help move us to action, and these actions tend to propel us toward choices that impact our immediate survival or chances of reproduction
• Positive emotions tend to move us toward choices that have a future benefit, or enhance our wellbeing over time
• Our emotions have a three-to-one ratio. For every three positive emotions, there can be one negative emotion that keeps everything balanced

This book really helped my dad, and the tips that it gives are very helpful. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a quick and simple read of tips to for happiness and stress management. Even if you are not someone that suffers from stress regularly or a mental disorder, you should check it out

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the suggestion of this book. I have heard the negative to positive ratio but only in reference to raising children. What I had heard is that for every negative statement toward a child you need 5 positive statements/interactions. I had never really thought of it toward my own mental health. I have really had a rough semester with a lot of family things and it has been hard to function. I find myself feeling a lot of the negative things that this blog has mentioned in regards to PTSD. I haven't experienced war but much of my childhood was quite traumatic. I think that reading this book and working on having more positive thoughts would really be a good start for me. Thanks for suggesting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate this suggestion as well. I think it can be useful for many audiences like Stacie alluded too. Everyone has stress in life, and it comes in different ways. Being positive can make a huge difference in a person's life and those around them. I'd be interested in reading it and see some of the techniques that are suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the advice to have three positive emotions for every one negative, I think many people would benefit from that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great way to put a positive spin on such a negative problem! I can't even begin to imagine how hard this must be to cope with.

    ReplyDelete