Monday, February 17, 2014

Mental Health


While  I don’t have any conditions that you could call severe. I know someone very close to me that is Schizophrenic. PSTD and Schizophrenia have more in common than most people know. Symptoms include delusions, paranoia, a lack of both emotion and motivation. I’ve been there for him all his life and for some reason now,  I’ve tended to think about him more. It feels odd to actually go into detail about it. I have seen a lot as a result of what he is going through. He takes several forms of medication to counteract it. I’ve been to meetings where there are other people he interacts with those who suffer from similar conditions or conditions that are closely correlated to it in some way .(i.e. drug and alcohol abuse, other mental disorders, etc) There’s a lot of research that suggests that there are many other potential factors that have a bearing on it as well. Genetics as well as parenting styles themselves. To put a positive spin on this disorder, The film A Beautiful Mind starring Russell Crowe from two thousand one was a positive example of what could be achieved despite Schizophrenia. John Nash, a famous Mathematician won the Nobel Prize for Economics (that is a rough subject I feel!)  in nineteen ninety four.  I feel it kind of out of place talking about this but I also feel it is relevant. I hope someone agrees with me.  These are both clearly notable conditions that should be addressed continuously. Thanks everyone!   


-Raul

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the insights and for a redirection of a difficult subject to a positive spin. There is a lot that those who suffer with PTSD can and will do - I believe that as we embrace the abilities that others have, rather than a microscopic focus on the disability, that we can really find positive in every situation. This is a subject that I am very interested in reading more about. Thanks for writing about it.

    ReplyDelete